Talking Loops With da Fresh

Check out our interview with Da Fresh, the producer behind Da Fresh - Tech House & Techno:





Da Fresh is positively one of the most exciting names in today’s dance music scene. Since 2002 he has been building a strong and devoted audience as a DJ in clubs and venues all over the world and as an acclaimed tech house & techno producer with releases on legendary labels such as Toolroom Records, Armada, Hot Fingers, Moonbeam Digital, 1605, Definitive, Fun Farm and his own Freshin Records !
 
FL – Do you use samples in your productions?


Sometimes yes, sometimes no, there's no rule. If a sample inspires me, I work on it, cut it, edit it, and try to use it in my music.



FL – What is your normal setup when producing music? If Future Loops was to have a peek at your laptop what software would we definitely find you using?


I work on Ableton Live, my Mac Book Pro plugged on a big screen (and unplugged when I'm on the road), Focal monitors, a Focusrite Forte soundcard, a Korg keyboard midi controller and lot of plugins from Sonnox, NI, Korg, Arturia, D16... I have a basic setup, focusing on creativity, not on having tons of softwares and hardwares and don't use them properly.



FL-What's your favorite VST plugin? What about the piece of hardware of your dreams? Do you have it yet?

My fav at the moment is Monark by NI, great analog style sound. The piece of hardware of my dreams is a TR 808, I don't have it but I'll have when I'll find a good one. Not so easy in 2013.



FL-Would you like to share a production tip with our users or a useful piece of advice for anyone who's just staring to produce dance music?

Don't try to have all the new softwares or hardwares, just try to know perfectly yours.



FL – When you first started producing music almost 10 years ago what software/hardware were you using ? And what changed the most in terms of your workflow while producing music since then?


I began to "create" electronic music on an Atari 520 ste, with a little midi software including only 4 tracks... But my first real release in 2000 was made with the software Quartz Audio and a Yamaha CS1x synth if I remember well. What changed is that there's almost no technical limits now, I can have an orchestra or a rock band in only a laptop.



FL – How do you fel about the music scene today as opposed to when you started more than 10 years ago and where do you think it is evolving to ?

The good point is that everybody "can" do music now, but the problem is that there is too much productions and less quality. I don't know where it's going on, I guess still in the same way...




FL – Let's finish with a few words to Da Fresh fans out there. What do you think are the highlights of “Da Fresh – Tech House & Techno” and how do you see it being used ?

When I did this sample pack I tried to create everything needed to produce good music but my fav part is the top loops collection. I think there you can find a good start point to inspire you and create a track.



Check out Da Fresh - Tech House & Techno at Future Loops website

Comments